Tuesday 11 May 2010

5th Goal Completed! (Liz)

Isn't it funny how you start off with an idea and then go and do something completely and utterly different?! I was going to string the beads very simply with some cherry red seed beads in between them and weave a large flower from seed beads as a focal to sit in the middle. Look what happened...


I was worried that the beading wire I have might not take the weight of the beads so decided it would be better to link them with wire instead. Choosing antique gold, I was getting the headpins and jump rings out of the drawer when I spotted my little stash of butterflies, so out went the flower idea! Then I found some filigree beads that I bought and have never used, and as you can see it started turning into an eclectic vintage style necklace.


The other metal beads and the chain were from a necklace that was 50p in Evans a couple of years ago (I bought one to wear and another three to use as 'parts'!) and then I added some small darker red aventurine, green aventurine and a few Chinese jade beads. And of course I couldn't resist a little beadweaving, making a few beaded beads in gold and olive green. The only thing missing is a clasp as it seems my antique gold clasps have gone awol! Although its not what I'd planned to make, I'm really happy with how 'Penelope' has turned out :)

3 comments:

Clair said...

Liz, this is just beautiful I was going to comment on the beaded beads even before I knew that you'd beaded them yourself.

And I'm glad to know that I'm not the only person who buys pieces just to take them apart!

Sarah said...

She's gorgeous! I love the mix of colours and beads that you used! I've never bought jewellery with a view to take apart and use, I'll have to try it!

Kitty Ballistic said...

Gorgeous! You have a real eye for colour, and detail. Lovely mix of textures too - I love the beaded beads you made.